1. Royal College of Physicians. National Early Warning Score (NEWS) 2. 2017. Available from url: https://www.rcplondon. ac.uk/projects/outputs/national-early-warning-score-news-2
2. Padilla RM, Mayo AM. Clinical deterioration: A concept analysis. J Clin Nurs 2018;27(7-8):1360-8.
3. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). Chapter 27 Critical care outreach teams. London: NICE; 2018. (NICE Guideline 94). [cited 10 May 2023]. Available from url: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng94/evidence/27.criticalcare-outreach-teams-pdf-172397464640#:~:text=Critical%20 care%20outreach%20teams%20(CCOT,for%20example%2C%20 on%20ordinary%20wards
4. National Institute for Health and Care Research (NIHR). Are track and trigger systems linked to rates of in-hospital cardiac arrest? [cited 10 May 2023]. Available from url: https://evidence. nihr.ac.uk/alert/are-track-and-trigger-systems-linked-torates-of-in-hospital-cardiac-arrest/#:~:text=Track%20and%20 trigger%20systems%20are,converting%20these%20into%20 a%20score
5. Brazil K, Cardwell C, Carter G, Clarke M, Corry DAS, Fahey T, et al. Anticipatory care planning for community-dwelling older adults at risk of functional decline: a feasibility cluster randomized controlled trial. BMC Geriatr 2022;22(1):452.
6. Field RA, Fritz Z, Baker A, Grove A, Perkins GD. Systematic review of interventions to improve appropriate use and outcomes associated with do-not-attempt-cardiopulmonaryresuscitation decisions. Resuscitation 2014;85(11):1418-31
7. Taylor DR, Lightbody CJ, Venn R, Ireland A. Responding to the deteriorating patient: The rationale for treatment escalation plans. J R Coll Physicians Edinb 2022;52(2):172-9.
8. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network (SIGN). Care of deteriorating patients. Edinburgh: SIGN; 2014. (SIGN publication no. 139 ). [cited 10 May 2023]. Available from url: https://www.sign.ac.uk/our-guidelines/care-of-deterioratingpatients/
9. Warttig S, Alderson P, Evans DJW, Lewis SR, Kourbeti IS, Smith AF. Automated monitoring compared to standard care for the early detection of sepsis in critically ill patients. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2018; Issue 6
10. Leenen JPL, Leerentveld C, van Dijk JD, van Westreenen HL, Schoonhoven L, Patijn GA. Current evidence for continuous vital signs monitoring by wearable wireless devices in hospitalized adults: systematic review. J Med Internet Res 2020;22(6):e18636.
11. Cardona-Morrell M, Prgomet M, Turner RM, Nicholson M, Hillman K. Effectiveness of continuous or intermittent vital signs monitoring in preventing adverse events on general wards: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J Clin Pract 2016;70(10):806-24.
12. Areia C, Biggs C, Santos M, Thurley N, Gerry S, Tarassenko L, et al. The impact of wearable continuous vital sign monitoring on deterioration detection and clinical outcomes in hospitalised patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Crit Care 2021;25(1):351.
13. Heller AR, Mees ST, Lauterwald B, Reeps C, Koch T, Weitz J. Detection of deteriorating patients on surgical wards outside the ICU by an automated MEWS-based early warning system with paging functionality. Ann Surg 2020;271(1):100-5.
14. Subbe CP, Duller B, Bellomo R. Effect of an automated References notification system for deteriorating ward patients on clinical outcomes. Crit Care 2017;21(1):52
15. Khan FA, Lyu T, Lee EK, Dhanvijay S, Kansal A, Kansal MG, et al. Impact of implementing novel automated code blue activation system on in-hospital cardiac arrest: A single center study. Resuscitation 2020;157:149-55.
16. Guan G, Lee CMY, Begg S, Crombie A, Mnatzaganian G. The use of early warning system scores in prehospital and emergency department settings to predict clinical deterioration: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 2022;17(3):e0265559.
17. Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AoMRC). Statement on the Initial Antimicrobial Treatment of Sepsis V2.0. [cited 10 May 2023]. Available from url: https://www.aomrc.org.uk/reportsguidance/statement-on-the-initial-antimicrobial-treatment-ofsepsis-v2-0/
18 McGaughey J, Fergusson DA, Van Bogaert P, Rose L. Early warning systems and rapid response systems for the prevention of patient deterioration on acute adult hospital wards. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2021; Issue 11.
19. Credland N, Dyson J, Johnson MJ. What are the patterns of compliance with Early Warning Track and Trigger Tools: A narrative review. Appl Nurs Res 2018;44:39-47
20. Turkington P, Power M, Hunt C, Ward C, Donaldson E, Bellerby J, et al. There is another way: empowering frontline staff caring for acutely unwell adults. Int J Qual Health Care 2014;26(1):71-8.
21 McNeill G, Bryden D. Do either early warning systems or emergency response teams improve hospital patient survival? A systematic review. Resuscitation 2013;84(12):1652-67.
22. Laurens N, Dwyer T. The impact of medical emergency teams on ICU admission rates, cardiopulmonary arrests and mortality in a regional hospital. Resuscitation 2011;82(6):707-12.
23. Mason S, Knowles E, Colwell B, Dixon S, Wardrope J, Gorringe R, et al. Effectiveness of paramedic practitioners in attending 999 calls from elderly people in the community: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ 2007;335(7626):919
24. Leduc S, Cantor Z, Kelly P, Thiruganasambandamoorthy V, Wells G, Vaillancourt C. The safety and effectiveness of nnsite paramedic and allied health treatment interventions targeting the reduction of emergency department visits by long-term care patients: systematic review. Prehosp Emerg Care 2021;25(4):556-65.
25. Mason S, O’Keeffe C, Knowles E, Bradburn M, Campbell M, Coleman P, et al. A pragmatic quasi-experimental multisite community intervention trial evaluating the impact of Emergency Care Practitioners in different UK health settings on patient pathways (NEECaP Trial). Emerg Med J 2012;29(1):47-53.
26. Cantor WJ, Hoogeveen P, Robert A, Elliott K, Goldman LE, Sanderson E, et al. Prehospital diagnosis and triage of STelevation myocardial infarction by paramedics without advanced care training. Am Heart J 2012;164(2):201-6.
27. Cummins NM, Dixon M, Garavan C, Landymore E, Mulligan N, O'Donnell C. Can advanced paramedics in the field diagnose patients and predict hospital admission? Emerg Med J 2013;30(12):1043-7.
28. World Health Organization. Global Patient Safety Action Plan 2021-2030. [cited 10 May 2023]. Available from url: https:// www.who.int/teams/integrated-health-services/patientsafety/policy/global-patient-safety-action-plan
29. Clanton J, Gardner A, Subichin M, McAlvanah P, Hardy W, Shah A, et al. Patient Hand-Off iNitiation and Evaluation (PHONE) study: a randomized trial of patient handoff methods. Am J Surg 2017;213(2):299-306.
30. Verholen N, Vogt L, Klasen M, Schmidt M, Beckers S, Marx G, et al. Do digital handover checklists influence the clinical outcome parameters of intensive care unit patients? A randomized controlled pilot study. Front Med (Lausanne) 2021;8(661343).
31. Salzwedel C, Mai V, Punke MA, Kluge S, Reuter DA. The effect of a checklist on the quality of patient handover from the operating room to the intensive care unit: a randomized controlled trial. J Crit Care 2016;32:170-4.
32. Scottish Medicines Consortium (SMC). A guide to quality adjusted life-years (QALYs). Available from url: https://www.scottishmedicines.org.uk/media/2839/guide-to-qalys.pdf
33. Keeney S, Hasson F, McKenna, H. The Delphi Technique in Nursing and Health Research. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons; 2011.