Section 4 of the Act places a duty on councils to make inquiries about a person's well-being, property or financial affairs if it knows or believes:

  • that the person is an adult at risk; and
  • that it might need to intervene (under the Act or otherwise) in order to protect the person's well-being, property or financial affairs.

Inquiries under Section 4 of the Act will be carried out by the council's social work services and should follow adult protection procedures.

The council may consult and/or work in partnership with other agencies to conduct inquiries.  

Other professionals, such as the police, the Care Inspectorate or health professionals may be asked to assist.