The Council Officer may be assisted in the investigation by appropriately qualified and trained staff from either within the council or from other identified bodies or agencies. 

Section 7 allows the Council Officer to enter any place to carry out necessary investigations. In many instances this will mean visiting the place where the adult normally resides, e.g.

  • the adult’s home including rented and owner occupied accommodation
  • the home of any relative, friend or other with whom the adult resides
  • supported or sheltered accommodation staffed by paid carers
  • temporary or homeless accommodation
  • a care home or other permanent residential accommodation

Any place can also be where the adult is residing temporarily, or spends part of their time, e.g.

  • a day centre
  • a place of education such as a school, college, university
  • a place of employment or other activity
  • temporary respite or permanent residential accommodation
  • a hospital or other medical facility
  • private, public or commercial premises

The Council Officer is allowed access to all parts of the place visited which might have a bearing on the investigation. This includes access to any adjacent places such as sheds, garages and outbuildings.

If this is where the adult normally resides, this could include all areas used by or on behalf of the adult such as sleeping accommodation, toilet and bathing facilities, kitchen areas and general living space.