Medicines shortages (Resources)
For information on managing medicine shortages see the NHS Highland intranet webpage:
Medicines Shortages. Contents include:
- Medicines shortage log.
- Primary Care algorithm for managing medicine shortages.
- Secondary Care algorithm for managing medicine shortages.
- NHS England Continuity of supply FAQs.
Other information on shortages is available from:
- SSPs (Serious Shortage Protocols).
- Medicines Shortages Guidance from Community Pharmacy Services Scotland.
- MSN (National Medicine Supply Notification) are available from:
- Medicines Supply Tool from SPS (Specialist Pharmacy Service) (log in details required). Suitable for Secondary Care.
- MSN (Medicine Supply Notification) from PSNC. Suitable for Primary Care.
- MSAN (Medicines Supply Alert Notice) from the SHOW website (Scotland's Health on the Web). Where there is a specific Scottish context for an MSN.
Remember, if the medication is not available, alternative medications to consider are listed in the Highland Formulary.